My answer on Quora:
Yes ,I have seen few people getting admission in top hospitals although the number is very less compared to the who have appeared USMLE. These people were from top Indian colleges to start with a base.
To give you an estimate most people don’t even secure an interview for residency at these places far from ranking you in the residency race.
Factors that played a role in getting residency Interview and position in top hospital for an IMG:
- Branch you opt for in residency- surgery, radiology, dermatology are most competitive ones. IM, Pediatrics, family med are IMG favorite for a reason that number of seats are high and less demand comparatively.
- your USMLE score- any score above 260 in each step is a highest probability , above 250 good chances and less than 240 many other factors needs to be present but almost negligible for top ones.
- US experience in hospital and LORs- duration, type- hands on/ observership, person’s position in department who’s writing the LOR for you.
- Connections in hospital and outside recommending you and your credibility.
- A good statement of purpose.
- IMG- international medical graduate
- IM- internal medicine
Having said that if you really wish for you will get, make connections during your observe ships/ hands on experience if you don’t have any US contact. Get >260 scores in each step, complete step 3 before applying for residency, get good experience in USA and you stand high chances!
Hope this helped, good luck!